Thursday, March 13, 2014

Benjamin Franklin Quotes


Can a list of quotes be interesting? Indeed they can when they come from one of the most brilliant Americans who ever lived.  Try them and I'll bet you a dollar that you’ll like them.

1) God helps those who help themselves.

2) Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

3) I didn't fail the test; I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

4) I look upon death to be as necessary to our constitution as sleep. We shall rise refreshed in the morning.

5) If you know how to spend less than you get, you have the philosopher's stone.

6) In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

7) Many people die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75.

8) Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.

9) No nation was ever ruined by trade.

10) Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God.

11) Speak ill of no man, but speak all the good you know of everybody.

12) Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

13) The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.

14) Three things are extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one's self.

15) Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

16) To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.

17) Where liberty is, there is my country.

18) Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society.

19) Sin is not hurtful because it is forbidden, but it is forbidden because it is hurtful.

_________________________________

Tim Farage is a Senior Lecturer in the Computer Science Department at The University of Texas at Dallas. The views expressed here are his and do not necessarily reflect the views of any other person or organization. You are welcome to comment upon this blog entry and/or to contact him at tfarage@hotmail.com.
____________________________________

5 comments:

Maryann Blaha said...

My fav 12) Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involved me and I learn.

Tim Farage said...

He's so frigging insightful!

Justin K. said...

I think that quote 13 is an idea that the millennial generation does not fully understand. Being either American or living in America does not automatically guarantee the American Dream nor does it guarantee opportunities. That isn't to say achieving the American Dream should be achievable, but I think it is silly to assume that opportunity and success are inherit in being an American--which I feel is the root of the social problems that exist in young people. They would like radical change that eliminates poverty, but do not have a plan on how those currently in poverty can contribute to America or propose a system that would enable work and the chance at pursuing something greater than themselves--which I think is the meaning of human life.

Quoteschart said...

Excellent Benjamin Franklin quotes compilation. Thanks for sharing!!

Tim Farage said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Your comment made me reread them, and so I thank you for that.

No, Aliens Have Not Been To Earth

We're still not sure about these facts, but our Milky Way Galaxy contains around a trillion stars, and there are estimated to be a trill...